March 22, 2012

Review #1 Divergent-Veronica Roth

If you had to - could you describe yourself in one word and stick to that description for the rest of your life?
Yeah, clearly I coulldn't. And I'm sure most other people would answer this question with a "no",too.
However, Divergent - the dystopian novel written by Veronica Roth - which I'm going to tell you about today deals with exactly that question. Well...not only with that question...


Goodreads Summary:

In a future Chicago, 16-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.



Divergent is Roth's debut novel which is only somewhat surprising since the author is only 23. Uhu. Try writing such a  jewel before most other people even move out of their parents' house! 


What I liked about this book was that it actually didn't feel like a book while I was reading it. And reading didn't feel like reading.. It was more me getting sucked into a world that I could not leave until I finished the book. I read during all of my classes at school,while I was eating, I sacrificed sleeping (very unusual for me).
Due to the fact that I wasn't reading, but living in the story I cannot tell you guys much about the characters except that I could totally relate to the main character and that all of them seemed very real to me. I never felt overloaded with too much information about the characters' history or their appearance, it was just enough to picture them in my head and to understand why they were acting the way they did.


What was just striking about this book was of course the story and the storytelling. So many little details turned out to be huge and so important in the course of the story. Divergent belongs to one of those books that do give you little hints so that you always have a certain sense of knowing what's going to happen - and then it's totally different.
All the little twists and turns in the novel, the development of some of the characters that was often surprising but never unreasonable and the way Roth can transform you into the story world made this book my new all-time-favorite!


Greetings, the Booksmartie


RANKING: 3 out of 3 Smarties





No comments:

Post a Comment

Similar To This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...