March 28, 2012

Review #2 Hush Hush - Becca Fitzpatrick

Imagine the following: You think you are an ordinary girl. With an ordinary life. No, you are not over your father's death just yet and you're visiting your psychologist a few times a week. But other than that, everything's in order. Until, of course it's not anymore because there's an angel falling from heaven and you're head over heels in love with him. End of ordinary.

 Goodreads summary:

For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her...until Patch comes along.
With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment, but after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is far more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.
For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life

I didn't love this book. I liked it okay. I needed almost a month to finish "Hush Hush" and I read about three or four books in the meantime. I feel like if you like a book it can be two different things. It is either that feeling that you get sucked in by the story so much that you forget everything around you. For that, the book does not always have to be super creepy or dangerous or anything. It's just that you get lost in the world that's created for you.
"Hush Hush" -in my opinion - is another kind of book. It's a magazine-book. By which I mean that during the past few weeks I took it everywhere with me and read it whenever I had like five to ten minutes with nothing to do. It was great to not get bored during waiting-minutes. I just wouldn't sit down and read it in one setting and then look forward to the sequel like crazy.

The main problem I had with this book was the characters. As for Nora, the main character, I don't think there was any development at all and from the side characters there was not a single one that didn't annoy me at one time or the other in the novel.
They were all just such stereotypes and then again sometimes made completely unreasonable decisions.

What made up for that a LOT was the actual storytelling. I was never bored with the storyline and the writing was fast-paced. The plot had some nice twists and turns and most of the little pieces of the puzzle fit together in the end in an understandable way.

So all in all I found this to be an enjoyable read that I would recommend  to girls who loved the nice atmosphere that Stephenie Meyer evoked with "Twilight", but as I will not reread it and probably never buy the rest of the series borrowing it from a library might make more sense than buying it.

Rating: 1/3 Smarties

1 comment:

  1. I didn't like it much, either. Oh, I'm a new gfc follower, btw. Please return the favor if you'd like to. :)

    http://notjustnonsense.blogspot.com/2012/03/ff-feature-and-follow-16.html

    ReplyDelete

Similar To This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...