February 04, 2013

Review: Through the Evernight by Veronica Rossi

Through the Evernight
by Veronika Rossi

Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky, #2)

It's been months since Aria last saw Perry. Months since Perry was named Blood Lord of the Tides, and Aria was charged with an impossible mission. Now, finally, they are about to be reunited. But their reunion is far from perfect. The Tides don't take kindly to Aria, a former Dweller. And with the worsening Aether storms threatening the tribe's precarious existence, Aria begins to fear that leaving Perry behind might be the only way to save them both.
Threatened by false friends, hidden enemies, and powerful temptations, Aria and Perry wonder, Can their love survive through the ever night?
In this second book in her spellbinding Under the Never Sky trilogy, Veronica Rossi combines fantasy and dystopian elements to create a captivating love story as perilous as it is unforgettable.



Hardcover, 341 pages
Published January 8th 2013 by HarperCollins

Other works by this author:
Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1)Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)

RATING:
3/3 Smarties

A Long Story...Short!

If you liked Under The Never Sky (which, of course, you did) you will find Through the Evernight freaking amazing! Throughout the whole book, there is no sign or symptom of sequel trouble, just plain joy while following your favorite characters as they go on their dangerous journeys as they try to do what they know has got to be done. I loved Rossi's writing style, her characters, their relationships and development, the plot that made me read all night because I couldn't sleep without knowing the ending of the book anyway, the tears I (okay, almost) cried during some of the toughest moments of the book and the ending that left me craving more...oh my, how I love these books!

Review for You:

Actually, there is not much to say about this book. I already told you guys everything I loved about Through the Evernight above and there was nothing, nothing!, that I didn't love. 
The weird thing about this trilogy is that I had my doubts before I started Under the Never Sky. It just didn't sound like my kind of book and on top of that I find myself being really bored by most dystopians that are coming out these days, so I had my guard up. After I had read and loved the first book, though, the same doubts overwhelmed me every time my gaze struck the sequel sitting on my shelf. I was pretty sure all that enthusiasm over the first book would not come back with the second one - and I was so wrong! If anything, Through the Evernight was even better than Under the Never Sky! As with most good sequels we don't have to go through the whole introduction process,but we can go straight into action. Another good thing about this one was that it started a few months after the first book left off. This doesn't work for every book, I believe, but here it was fine and even made sense, because Aria and Perry have already gone through a bit of character development without the reader following each step they take, if you know what I mean. 
Funny, also, how after the first few pages I was so engaged in the story already that I didn't want to put the book down. Not even for food.
I still don't connect with Aria as much as I wanted to which might be because I feel like I don't know anything about her and because the reader only knows her in extreme situations, away from home, on her own, in danger. All of her actions are quite impulsive and we don't get to know her as the person she usually is. It's different with Perry, I think, because although he has to face challenges, too, he's mostly at home with the people he's more or less known his whole life long and therefore, I understood him and his actions and personality a lot better. 
Roar and Liv where great in this novel, too. Or rather, I loved that they actually had their places in this book. I think I might like them even more than Aria and Perry and wouldn't mind another novella, or book even, about them.
All in all, I can only tell you to read this book as soon as you can and if you haven't started the trilogy I recommend you do so, because it's awesome!

Review for me:

Favorite Quote:
Weird how I loved this book so much, but couldn't find a quote I really, really liked....did you find any?

What I want to remember from this book:
Sacrifice. And the courage all these characters came up with in order to sacrifice, to help the people they love. 

When I want to reread this book:
When Into the Still Blue comes out - I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Similar To This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...