September 04, 2012

Review: Bloom - Elizabeth Scott

Bloom





Lauren has a good life: decent grades, great friends, and a boyfriend every girl lusts after. So why is she so unhappy?
It takes the arrival of Evan Kirkland for Lauren to figure out the answer: She's been holding back. She's been denying herself a bunch of things (like sex) because staying with her loyal and gorgeous boyfriend, Dave, is the "right" thing to do. After all, who would give up the perfect boyfriend?
But as Dave starts talking more and more about their life together, planning a future Lauren simply can't see herself in -- and as Lauren's craving for Evan, and moreover, who she is with Evan becomes all the more fierce -- Lauren realizes she needs to make a choice...before one is made for her.


Published: 2008
Pages: 223
Genre: Contemporary

LONG STORY SHORT:
As boring and meaningless as I find the cover and the title of this novel - the story itself was wonderful. It starts with likable characters facing realistic problems and a writing style that makes you feel like the author is listening directly to your heart and tells the story she finds in there. The rather decent amount of pages is the perfect length for this novel and the story unfolds in a beautiful way. For every girl out there that needs proof that life is not always perfect for anyone, this is the book to go. For every other girl Bloom is a very enjoyable read you wouldn't want to miss!

REVIEW:

I am obsessed with checking out new authors. It's already taken me half a year to even consider buying the first installment of The Infernal Devices not because I didn't like Cassandra Clare's writing (I do!) but because I'd have two series by the same author then. It's weird. And it's the reason for my buying Bloom. I wanted to read a novel by Elizabeth Scott and - I'm going to be honest with you guys - I also bought it because I got for a hilariously cheap price. Why I tell you all that? Oh, well. If I were you I wouldn't really be motivated to pick up this novel by the cover, the title or the synopsis...

Because those three don't do the book justice at all! Instead of being you ordinary contemporary read - you know the kind of story that ten other contemporary authors wrote too only with a different title - Bloom provided in-depth characters, in depth stories and very realistic plot.

What I loved most about Bloom was how Scott was able to display reality so real, so pure, so simple. Every character had their own story and you could clearly see how that story made him or her what they were. It was like meeting real people and knowing nothing about them at first. Then, as the story unfolds you get to know them better and better until at the end you feel like they are your best friends.

In addition to that the issues the characters - and not only Lauren - has to face in this book are very unique and well thought out. Nevertheless, those issues made the characters relatable. No stereotyping, none at all. The teenagers had problems like we all have which is something I don't see in books very often. Such acceptance of the fact that noone lives their lives without ever having to swallow hard, overcome some issues. At the same time, though, the characters don't fail or fall. They are not whiny - as most of us wouldn't be. They are used to the not-so-nice parts of their lives.

Scott's writing style was very fluent and she found exactly the right words to tell the story. Although this is truly not an action packed or even fast-paced book I still managed to get through it like nothing because it was such a wonderful break from my own reality.

All in all I'd just tell you to pick this book up. Seriously. It's probably not so much for guys, but I'd recommend t o any girl no matter what situation she is in. This story I'm probably going to reread many times and I'm sure most of you will too!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Similar To This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...