October 29, 2013

A Top Ten Tuesday That is Somehow Halloween - Schemed

I have a confession to make: I am not big on Halloween.
Before you stomp me to the ground with your superhero-strength in costume-form, let me explain, k?
I'm German. There's basically no Halloween in Germany aside from fake American Halloween that results in not much more than funnily dressed up candy to horrific prices.
Also, some teenagers think it's the perfect opportunity to drink. But then again...

So, I always feel a bit lost in October, when everyone starts reading scary books. That might also have something to do with the fact that I usually don't read scary books. Because I don't like horror or crime or thriller or whatever else might be scary. Not because it's scary, but because I don't like horror, thriller or crime novels...

You see where this post is going, right? I'm just bending and twisting the rules so much that you think I'd write a Top Ten List on the actual topic, while I actually don't. Whatever, let's get started.


1) Pretty Little Liars by Sarah Shepard
...is a fantastic mystery read that I cannot get enough of (although I could never read those books back to back). They are refreshing, juicy, a bit scary and a very, very girly version of everything thriller, mystery and....Halloween?

2) Born Wicked by Jessica Shirvington
This is probably my most favorite trilogy ever. It is about witches in New England in what I think the 19th century and it is the most amazing story ever. Gripping, fast paced, passionate, funny, heartbreaking. You have to read it!! Oh, and witches...halloween???....

3) Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
I still haven't finished this series, but I've gotten through book four which was a massive 500 pages. If you still haven't read the series I highly recommend it. One of the best out there. DON'T shy away from the vampire thing! These are the kinds of vampires you have never seen before! They're like Harry Potter. No, reallly.

4) Admittedly, I am running out of ideas here.Oh, wait. The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnsson
Really good crime novel, in my opinion. I recommend the audiobook.

5) Ashes Trilogy by Ilsa J. Bick
Have only read the first two books but seeing as how they are so amazingly disturbing, you'd do good getting them ASAP. Because you honestly can't go as a zombie for Halloween if you haven't read these books...
Oh, and I really, really want this to be a movie...

6) Okay, I'm out. Can't think of anything...


BY THE WAY; I NEED YOUR HELP!
Really. I've got to find a costume until Thursday and literally have no time or money to get one. Any ideas? The creative - or not - people amongst you? I need something cool, cheap and quick ...? By any chance? I'd sure love you guys forever!!!

Kidding, I love you anyway!
Happy Tuesday!

8 comments:

  1. I'm tempted to carry on with Vampire Academy series. I've only read the first one, and I wasn't blown away. Everyone else seems to love them though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it, do it, do it!! It is an amazing series! Funny, loveable characters, ALWAYS a fast paced and addicting plot, CRAZY good romance and endings that leave you breathless! It is one of the best series I've ever read!

      Delete
  2. That was fun to read. Great choices by the way. I have a few ideas to give for your costume!!! LOL. Kidding!

    Check out Our TTT

    Xoxo. Daisel @ Owl Always Be Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, I'm glad you enjoyed the post :)

      Delete
  3. Nice list! This one was hard even for me and my reads tend to have creepy characters, but not of the super scary variety either! I like my novels with paranormal elements but I can no way handle a scary movie! Mostly because those scary movies tend to be slasher flicks and I don't like gore either. I like the suspenseful scary kind of movie!

    The Vampire Academy series is awesome! Book 4 was pretty epic and the series just gets better from that point! And if you really enjoy it, be sure to try out The Bloodlines series that is the spinoff! It's really great so far!

    Cheap costumes...hmm...you could always try for something simple like fairy wings? That'd be cheap.

    Or dress like a book character! Rose from Vampire Academy even! She was a jeans and t-shirt kind of gal. You could just slap on one of those Hello My Name is...stickers and write in Rose Hathaway. Maybe try to find a wooden stake if possible from a costume shop as a prop.

    I read Name of the Star as well, but can't remember if any of the characters wore anything particular that would help them stand out. Of course then there's always the fact that most people might not know who your character is, even with the name tag!

    Can't think of much, sorry. Haven't really dressed up myself in years. Normally I might just buy a costume for the store if it's cheap. But again, I think I would go with a book character! You might have to go with the nametag accessory and perhaps carry the book with you too!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah, girl, what a COMMENT ! Thank you SO much for taking the time to write such a novel :D Okay, where to start...It was a hard topic, I think. Even if you're really into scary books there might not be too many Halloween-y books to mention...Vampire Academy is the best. Best, best, best. I constantly forget how good that series really is, though, until I start the next book. Ahh, only two more to go!! And I definitely will start Bloodlines...would you recommend finishing VA first?And thanks so much for the costume ideas! The book character idea made me think of HERMIONE and I will totally go as a witch now. More because that allows me to wear a tight black dress and heels and crazy makeup and that thought alone makes me wish Halloween was here already :)

      Delete
  4. I totally feel you on Halloween... here in Slovenia we don't have it either (we celebrate these things in March/April) so what we have in October is just a bunch of parties, an excuse for stores to earn a lot again, and for people to get overly drunk. At least nobody trick-or-treats around here. Plus I don't read/watch creepy things either so I just sit meekly this time of year and wait it out XD

    Great selection of books. I still have to read many... am glad you're enjoying VA, it's among my favorites ever :) Brace yourself for book 5 though. And I agree - NOTHING LIKE VAMPS USUALLY ARE. Great books. I hope you'll read on with Bloodlines, too, they're awesome as well :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha well at least you named some creepy books! I have Born Wicked on my bookshelf,,just waiting to be read! I didn't know it was your favorite witch books, wow it must be so good! My favorite witch books are Anne rices Mayfair Witch trilogy. Sooo creepy. It's like beautiful creatures, but for adults. And it was written before beautiful creatures lol,
    Ahh for costume!? You could be a beatnik and wear all black with a black beret and a pad and paper carry around for poetry! I was that one year, so easy! Lol.

    ReplyDelete

Similar To This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...