March 09, 2013

Review: Speechless by Hannah Harrington

Speechless

by Hannah Harrington

 
Speechless
 
Everyone knows that Chelsea Knot can't keep a secret
Until now. Because the last secret she shared turned her into a social outcast—and nearly got someone killed.
Now Chelsea has taken a vow of silence—to learn to keep her mouth shut, and to stop hurting anyone else. And if she thinks keeping secrets is hard, not speaking up when she's ignored, ridiculed and even attacked is worse.
But there's strength in silence, and in the new friends who are, shockingly, coming her way—people she never noticed before; a boy she might even fall for. If only her new friends can forgive what she's done. If only she can forgive herself.
 
Paperback, 288 pages
Published August 28th 2012 by HarlequinTeen
 

A Long Story Short

 
Speechless was a good, but not great contemporary book that I'd recommend to everyone who does not expect extraordinary things from the Story. I read this book, influenced by all the Hype around Hannah Harrington and this novel in General, I expected a great message, an even better romance - and all I got was average. I understand that the characters are fleshed out and that they really have chemistry, but I don't understand why I'm supposed to be completely blown away by the Story.
 
RATING:
2/3 Smarties

 

Review for you:

I hate These kinds of Reviews. I can't rant because it wasn't horrible, I can't rave, because I didn't even come Close to being obsessed with it.
What I liked? The characters. No matter which one, really. They were all authentic, most of them like-and lovable, the Boys respectful, the Girls strong and confident. I mean, it does say something if the only Thing you get from the Heroine are her inner thoughts and throughout the whole book you don't ever find her whiny or annoying in some way, not redundant, either.
Also, I won't spoil anything but there's something about the atmosphere around a workplace where People are cooking, that....just Appeals to me. If anyone of you has read Sarah Dessen's The Truth About Forever, or What Happened to Goodbye you know what I mean. It's just...ha, the atmosphere!
Anyway, the actual plot...dragged a Little bit towards the end. I felt like the ending should have come sooner. It's true that there were still some final endings to tie together, but I was not up for it anymore. Do you know that Feeling when you know there are still a few things in the plot that have to happen before the book is over, but you don't want to read them anymore, because you know how they'll turn out and you are satisfied with the Story as it is? Yeah, that. If I remember correctly it took me about three evenings to read the last 10% of the novel on my Kindle.
So, okay, you might be thinking right now. You found the ending a bit dragging and that's why you didn't like the entire book? Mhm...not quite.
My main Problem was the Hype. I expected a miracle. That sort of Story that makes you love and cry and that you remember forever and that teaches you important lessons for your life and everything after you die and...you know where I'm coming from, don't you?
Speechless was cute, maybe even good but by no means - in my opinion - was it a brilliant novel every single Person on this planet should read. Especially the actual premise, the speechlessness, came too short for me. I thought it'd be such a great deal, but it wasn't. Not really.
I think I've said it enough - I'm disappointed, but I guess without the expectations - or with more negative ones in my head - I would have enjoyed this novel!

2 comments:

  1. I heard alot of buzz surrounding this book as well, and what initially drew me to it was the cover. It's so blank... and that's not something I've ever really seen (unless it was an ARC or something). I'm still undecided about whether I'll read it or not but thanks for the honest review :)
    Shae @ Understanding Shae's Story

    ReplyDelete
  2. well all i could say is I'm also speechless with the review lol

    ReplyDelete

Similar To This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...