May 31, 2012

Review #16 - Social Suicide by Gemma Halliday


Goodreads summary:
Twittercide [twit-er-sahyd]: the killing of one human being by another while the victim is in the act of tweeting.
Call me crazy, but I figured writing for the Herbert Hoover High Homepage would be a pretty sweet gig. Pad the resume for college applications, get a first look at the gossip column, spend some time ogling the paper’s brooding bad-boy editor, Chase Erikson. But on my first big story, things went... a little south. What should have been a normal interview with Sydney Sanders turned into me discovering the Homecoming Queen-hopeful dead in her pool. Electrocuted while Tweeting. Now, in addition to developing a reputation as HHH’s resident body finder, I’m stuck trying to prove that Sydney’s death wasn’t suicide.
I’m starting to long for the days when my biggest worry was whether the cafeteria was serving pizza sticks or Tuesday Tacos..


Published: 2012
Pages: 277
Genre: Mystery

LONG STORY SHORT:
I will confess that I did have some sequel-trouble with Social Suicide, although it was nothing major. Readers who loved the (continuosly) snarky voice in Deadly Cool might be a bit disappointed (as I was) because I felt like the plot and character development took higher priority in this one than language, but pay attention to my choice of words. Everything I loved in Deadly Cool - Hartley and her easy view on things/ her snarky voice, the not-lovey-dovey romance, the suspense in the end and the complete confusion over who killed whom - where still there. The emphasis on some aspects was just (in my opinion) different from the first book. All in all a fun novel that I will definitly reread when life gets tough!



REVIEW

After reading Deadly Cool - the first book in the series - I was convinced I would never be able to read about anything but Hartley and her great, funny, dangerous (well...kind of) mystery stories. I was so into her world and her character and her voice - it was amazing! So amazing that I had to preorder Social Suicide immediately, couldn't wait to start it and didn't want it to end.

Honestly, Deadly Cool and Social Suicide are amazing novels that make me laugh and forget reality. The perfect mix of fluent sarcasm and everyday situations that everyone knows so well result in a book that teaches you to "just deal with it" and that everyone else goes through the same things you do (like meat(ish) loaf and a paranoid mom).

I feel like I'm repeating myself, but what I love most about Social Suicide is Hartley's attitude towards life. Being more of a pessimist myself, I'm always inspired how she can freak over minor things just as teenagers do but always stays positive in a way. It's hard to describe. Like, she has that ability of staying happy, laughing about things that get thrown in her way instead of being grumpy about it.

Apart from that, I couldn't figure out the mystery in this one which really is a good thing. They took so many different directions in an effort to find out how Sydney died that I was too confused to work on it with my own brain. Again, this is not a negative aspect! I hate when you can tell what happened to the victim after the first few pages or so. The ending itself came so unexpected! I would never have guessed that! Also, we do see some development with Hartley and Chase but it's not too over the top and although this is a sequel - there is no love triangle! Yay! Sam was as amazing as ever - the best friend you could wish for!

The only thing I missed was how Hartley did not - not one single time - get the secret can of ice cream out of the fridge. I was so disappointed by that!

 Overall, I would say I had a little bit of sequel-trouble with this one, but I expected that to happen. My expectations towards most sequels are usually way over-the-top so that I always get a bit disappointed with seconds in series. Which should not mean that Social Suicide was a disappointment. I missed the snarky language from Book One a little bit (it wasn't as consistent-but-not-obvious) and sometimes I felt like the events were a bit rushed and fewer places to go and things to find out would've made it too, but most things I loved about Deadly Cool were still the same.
There's only one thing I really don't like about Social Suicide: the fact that it's already over.
Everyone: get it, read it, see new sense in life.
To the author: I want more! Please, please,please! And fast!

RATING: 3 out 0f 3 Smarties


No comments:

Post a Comment

Similar To This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...