September 03, 2013

Your 2013 Reading List - or Top Ten Books Every Highschooler Must Read

 
1) Between Shades of Grey by Ruta Sepetys
A beautiful, heart-breaking book. I think it's not only great for highschoolers because of its meaning for the historical time period, but also because there is so much strength and faith and love in this book.
 
2) Dear Bully (Anthology)
I cannot recommend this book enough. I definitely didn't like every single story in it, but all of them together composed a very special message: that you are never alone. Not really.
 
3) Harry Potter Series
Hello? It's a classic. And if it's not, it will be in fifty years or something. So why not introduce it to highschoolers today, so that they all can realize how amazing books  are and be passionate readers until the rest of their lives. I'm serious. The world would be a peaceful place, sure thing!
 
4) 34 Pieces of You by Carmen Rodriguez
I would have saved this place for 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher, but everyone has heard of that one and Carmen Rodriguez is lesser known, but so incredibly cool and has gorgeous writing and you guys need to read her book ASAP!!!!
 
5) Perfect by Ellen Hopkins
Again, I could have picked Impulse, too. I personally, though, can relate to the issues addressed in Perfect a lot more (and I liked the book better). Impulse was really good, too, though.
 
6) The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
I don't know how it is in the US or other parts of the world, but German kids (obviously) deal a lot with WWII in school. I do think this part of history must be talked about - especially to highschoolers. However, a lot of the books we read about it were really dull and not much fun to read. The Book Thief is a must. SO good. Can only recommend the audiobook, too!
 
7) A Sara Shepard Series
Admittedly, it might not be class material, but for me those books (along with Gossip Girl) were my life savers when things got really stressful at school. The little time you have left for reading, you usually don't want to spend on something heavy. These books are just the perfect amount of fun and lightness, but also addicting, because of the mystery!
 
8) If I Stay by Gayle Forman and
 
9) Looking for Alaska by John Green
 
These books I could imagine for an English class. They are beautifully written and a bit deeper than most YA.
 
10) Why do I always run out of ideas for 10??? Does that happen to anyone else, too or is it just me?

2 comments:

  1. Actually you did a lot better than me. I usually run out of ideas halfway through a list.

    For number 10 how about a retelling or twist on a classic book or fairytale? Or maybe another anthology? Or for number 10 I think I would put Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Between Shades of Gray and The Book Thief on my list too! I will have to check out 34 Pieces of You. Thanks for the recommendation! http://wp.me/pzUn5-1EZ

    ReplyDelete

Similar To This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...