May 11, 2013

Review: Confessions of an Angry Girl by Louise Rozett

Confessions of an Angry Girl
by Louise Rozett


Confessions of an Angry Girl (Confessions, #1)


Rose Zarelli, self-proclaimed word geek and angry girl, has some confessions to make…

1. I'm livid all the time. Why? My dad died. My mom barely talks. My brother abandoned us. I think I'm allowed to be irate, don't you?
2. I make people furious regularly. Want an example? I kissed Jamie Forta, a badass guy who might be dating a cheerleader. She is now enraged and out for blood. Mine.
3. High school might as well be Mars. My best friend has been replaced by an alien, and I see red all the time. (Mars is red and "seeing red" means being angry—get it?)
Here are some other vocab words that describe my life: Inadequate. Insufferable. Intolerable.
(Don't know what they mean? Look them up yourself.)


Long Story Short:


We need more, a lot more, of stories like this. Confessions of an Angry Girl picks up all the worries and fears a teenage girl could possibly have and puts them into an entertaining story that is full of heart and told by heroine who is neither whiny and scared of life, nor overly confident. I'm guessing, pretty much everyone could relate to Rose and her witty narration makes the book, although serious sometimes, mostly funny and a really entertaining read that I won't forget so fast.

RATING: 2/3 Smarties

Review for You:

This novel has everything I'd ask for in a contemporary. The synopsis promises just enough and not too much and does not lead you down a wrong path. You get what you see....almost. I'll admit, there's a bit more to the story than you might expect.
First of all it's witty. Score! A heroine that has a sense of humor without being overly dramatic, hysterical or a terrible mix of both. Also, a rather geeky character, but completely realistic and relatable.
I liked Rose's back story, the tragedy gave the book a seriousness that set it apart from your average "freshman year in highschool" books that deal with the same kind of drama we all know by heart.
Interestingly, Rose and her friends and their sometimes very childish behaviour didn't strike me as annoying because it was never too much, over the top. It was just the kind of thing a teenage girl would do - I would do - and realize later how silly it was - and it feels comforting and calming that other people go through the same stuff, too.
Now, characters, heroine - all great! However, Rozett handled message and plot well, too. Almost entirely based on character development, the reader gets a view on the journey of a girl going through highschool, learning to deal with grief and bullying and friends who suddenly seem like aliens.
In addition to that, the author's way of telling the story has something very nice and patient, like she is taking teens and their worries seriously instead of belittling them.
The romance, by the way, is there, but it's subtle and not the main factor in the book. Refreshing and very sweet.
All in all, I'd recommend this book to contemporary lovers -if you're a High Fantasy or dystopa addict, it might be a tidbit too slow for you. However, even people who usually don't like to read, could enjoy this novel as it is very fluently written and easy to get through.

PS: Older review AGAIN, but this is "only" from February...I don't even know why I always forget about them,seeing as they are right in front of my eyes every day :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Similar To This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...