August 30, 2012

All American Girl: Ready or Not by Meg Cabot


Ready or Not (All-American Girl, #2) 

Goodreads synopsis:

Top ten things Samantha Madison isn't ready for:
10. Spending Thanksgiving at Camp David
9. With her boyfriend, the president's son
8. Who appears to want to take their relationship to the Next Level
7. Which Sam inadvertently and shockingly announces live on MTV
6. While appearing to support the president's dubious policies on families, morals, and yes, sex
5. Juggling her new after-school job at Potomac Video
4. Even though she already has a job as teen ambassador to the UN (that she doesn't get paid for)
3. Riding the Metro and getting accosted because she's "the redheaded girl who saved the president's life," in spite of her new, semipermanent Midnight Ebony tresses
2. Experiencing total role reversal with her popular sister Lucy, who for once can't get the guy she wants
And the number-one thing Sam isn't ready for?
1. Finding out the hard way that in art class, "life drawing" means "naked people."


Release Date: August 1, 2005
Pages: 238 (Paperback)
Series?#2/2
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers

LONG STORY SHORT:

Ready or Not was a great novel. Thinking about it there is almost nothing I could criticize about it. The plot was very clear and kept me reading - I flew through the book like nothing. The characters continued to be as hilarious and realistic as they were in the first novel. At the same time, though, they were much more mature. All in all, I would even say I liked Ready or Not a lot more than All American Girl - which is pretty unusual for me with sequels. The only thing that bothered me a tiny little bit is that Cabot tends to repeat a character's thoughts about one certain topic a million times - that annoys me sometimes.

REVIEW:

I bought this book together with All American Girl. After reading that one, though, I was kind of fed up with the story and let Ready or Not sit on my shelf until the Meg Cabot Readathon led me to finally reading it and I can honestly say I'm so happy about that.

What I loved most about Ready or Not was that it took place a year after All American Girl and that all the characters were so much more mature. Also, I felt like the plot was a lot more straight forward. Different from the first book the second one was a super fast read for me.

Meg's writing style is what I want to put emphasis on in this review, because I felt like it was more settled than in some of her other books. The protagonist's voice is still very funny and all the dialogues and descriptions kept me laughing - but it wasn't too much.

Lucy was amazing. Truly amazing. I loved how much she had grown from book one to book two but also the development we could see in her during book two. It's not only believable, it's also very inspiring and I felt like I was being taught a very important lesson - of course, in funny and snarky Meg Cabot style.

All in all the book was an plain enjoyable read. Quick, fun, heartwarming. What I missed was Rebecca. I loved her character in All American Girl and would have liked to see more of her.

RATING: Three out of three Smarties

No comments:

Post a Comment

Similar To This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...