August 29, 2012

Review: All American Girl by Meg Cabot


All-American Girl (All-American Girl, #1) 

Goodreads synopsis:

Samantha Madison is an average, cool Washington, D.C., teen: She loves Gwen Stefani (who doesn't?), can draw like nobody's business, and enjoys being opposite to her sister's annoying ultra-social personality. But when she ditches art class one day, she doesn't expect to be jumping on the back of a wannabe presidential assassin. Soon the young hero is receiving worldwide acclaim for her bravery, having dinner with her family at the White House, and is even being named teen ambassador to the UN. As if this weren't enough, she and David, the president's son, strike up a friendship that everyone wants the dirt on, which starts to give her romantic "frisson" feelings. Unfortunately, Sam thinks her sister's boyfriend, Jack, is the true love of her life, and she makes a few wrong turns that could screw up what she's developing with David. Will she ever stop following what she knows and start following what she sees?


LONG STORY SHORT:

In hilarious Meg Cabot - fashion All American Girl tells a funny, quite unrealistic story of your VERY stereotypical teenage girl. Meg's writing style is funny as always, although it did annoy me at times. The Princess Diaries and The Mediator Series were WAY better in my opinion, but still. This is a light novel for those moments when you just want to read to prevent boredom :)


REVIEW:

Although I usually love Meg and her writing style and although I am the biggest fan of Mia's hysterical trains of thought in The Princess Diaries I found All American Girl a little bit too much exactly that: hysterical.

The beginning effected me as usual. I opened the book, read three sentences and went from grinning to laughing in a matter of seconds - despite being in a horrible mood. Then, though, things went downhill for me. I was waiting for something to actually happen! The real incident that this book should be about came around almost towards the middle of the novel and even though Sam's life and friends and everyday life were interesting and funny at first I got bored quite fast. Also, because she kept repeating the latest reasons to LIKE...TOTALLY FREAK...and after some time I was just like "Yeah, I know Sam. Your life sucks. But ... you know - you're a teenager, what exactly did you expect?"

Anyway, I liked Sam and her family. Lucy was a bit flat - as a person, yes, but also as a character, but Rebecca was amazing! Sam's little sister always appeared in the exact right moments only to say hilarious things - loved her!

Then, the incident happened. And I was a bit disappointed with that, too. Because everything that happened afterwards was not much better than everything that happened before. School, endless discussions with sisters and best friends and - of course - Sam's hysterical self.

After all, don't get me wrong here. I did enjoy All American Girl. The lists between the chapters were cool and some really funny things happened. It's just that overall Sam seemed a bit too dramatic and although the book is rather short it took me quite some time to finish it, because I had no real desire to find out what happened next.

However, To get your mind off things or to read while you're waiting at the doctor's office All American Girl would be really great!

RATING: 2 out of 3 Smarties



No comments:

Post a Comment

Similar To This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...