August 27, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday



Top Ten Bookish Confessions

1. I've never read The Lord of The Rings Series - and even worse - I don't think I ever will. I've heard pretty intimidating things about it (like difficult language and songs and stuff...)

2. I hated the Harry Potter books in the beginning because I couldn't pronounce the names (I'm German and I was in third grade when I tried - no experience with the English language) and I didn't get the story :)

3. I was afraid of the United States when I was younger. I'd never read a book set there and this might not seem to be book related but today I read almost exclusively American books - and I even prefer American covers!

4. My mom had to read books to me until I was thirteen. Seriously. And she stopped doing it not because I wanted her to but because she said it was "about time" .... :)

5. I constantly count the number of pages until a book is finished and then calculate how much time I will need to get to the end.

6. In seventh grade my teacher talked to my mom and together they forbid me to read Harry Potter. That teacher looked at me with a serious expression on her face and said:
"There are different types of addictions, Laura."

7. I once spilled hot chocolate on my jeans and the book I was reading, Thirteen Reasons Why - and I did nothing to save it because I needed to know how the book ended :)

8.When I was younger I'd receive a letter from our local library every month because I never returned the books on time!

9. In seventh grade I brought all the Harry Potter books I owned to tests at school - they were my "lucky charms"

10. As a child I used to pretend I was my favorite book character. The confession? I still do it sometimes.

23 comments:

  1. I still get letters from the library - e-mails asking me to bring a book back!

    Hopping by to say Hi! Hope you have a chance to read my Bookish Confessions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I actually don't anymore...might be because I work there now :)

      Delete
  2. I do number 5 as well! And I did get the letters too before I stopped going to the library all together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah...I hate that I count the pages all the time!So much time wasted that I could actually be reading!

      Delete
  3. Yes to no.5 - and my Kindle with its 'percentage read' note only makes this problem worse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally forgot to mention THAT problem! You're right-the percentages are even worse!

      Delete
  4. I haven't read LoTR either! I do think that I will...one day. :) My mom read to me until I was about 12 or so. I never liked reading and that was the best way to get it done. Then I read The Outsiders and that changed everything.
    My Confessions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always loved reading but there was something so magical about listenning to the stories - I think that's why I still love audiobooks so much :)

      Delete
  5. I think we all do number 10 to some degree, even if we don't admit it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know - that means I don't have to feel like a freak about that anymore :)

      Delete
  6. I start counting pages to the end when I have about a hundred more to go. It's odd because I'm not in a hurry to get to the end; I just want to know how much more is left!

    Here's my Top Ten Bookish Confessions.I hope you will stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAHA! "There are different types of addictions." That is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly? I almost fell off my chair when she said that. I could not believe it!

      Delete
  8. I tried to read LOTR like.. four times, but I always get stuck halfway in the first book. I'm not going to try it again. It's just not meant to be :p

    How cute to bring all your HP books as lucky charms ^^

    I love your list <3 It's cute and so personal!

    My top 10 Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) The lucky charms thing was pretty stupid, though - my om is convinced I'm gonna have huge back aches later in life :)

      Delete
  9. Oh Lord of the Rings, how I hated those boring elf songs. I finished the LoTR twice but I struggled through the endless descriptions of hills and fields and mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what a lot of people say - and exactly the reason I think I'm never going to start reading it. sad, but true :/

      Delete
  10. I've never read LOTR either! I think I tried to read The Hobbit, and it's the only book I've ever fallen asleep reading :/

    My Confessions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man...seems to be a common thing with Tolkien...

      Delete
  11. Aw, The Lord of the Rings books are some of my favorites, but I'll admit, my dad had to harp on me for years about how great they were until I finally tried it and "got" it. The movies helped, too.

    I'm with you on #5. I'm forever checking how many pages I have left to go. If would forget about how close or far the end is and just read, I'd probably be so much better off!

    ReplyDelete
  12. *gasp* The Lord of the Rings is my favorite book! I personally think that the "difficult language" is an overemphasized myth. There are actually a lot of sentences where I think, "Wow, that sounds quite modern." If you're worried about the bits of poetry that are occasionally included, you can skip them. It won't actually impede your understanding of the plot. Also, if you start reading the little prologue about the history of hobbits and aren't overly fascinated, it can help to skip that, too. Again, it does't have anything to do with the plot. (Although I am personally a fan of said prolodue.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't finished the LOTR series either. I read the first two but I didn't fully appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete

Similar To This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...