August 01, 2012

Summer Reading Review: Someone like you

Hey guys! Just a quick side note before you get your review: Some of you might have noticed that I post this Summer Reading on Wednesday instead of Monday. The simple reason is : I've got too many posts right now and I had to reorganize things a bit. Just to not confuse you: the rest of the Summer Reading is going to go up on Wednesdays now. 

Someone Like You


Goodreads Summary:

Halley has always followed in the wake of her best friend, Scarlett. But when Scarlett learns that her boyfriend has been killed in a motorcycle accident, and that she's carrying his baby, she's devastated. For the first time ever, Scarlett really needs Halley. Their friendship may bend under the weight, but it'll never break--because a true friendship is a promise you keep forever.

LONG STORY SHORT:

Out of all the Sarah Dessen novels this is the funniest, most entertaining, roller - coaster like one I've read so far. If you need the feel - good novel with super likeable characters and a fast paced plot that ends with a wonderful message you have to go out there and buy this book right this second.

REVIEW:

I was very hesitant to start Someone Like You because the premise just didn't appeal to me at all. It seemed like this was so not where I am or ever was in my life - how am I supposed to identify with any of these characters???

How wrong was I? Someone like you was an awesome novel that I enjoyed from beginning to end. I can't even decide what I loved most...it was definitely fun! The main character was given a great voice but I think the unique side characters contributed to the fun factor as well. Halley's dad was awesome, his reluctance to come between the two women in his house is so realistic and somehow very cute. Apart from that, I really liked Halleys mom, too. She seems nice and caring and even though Halley just finds herself at a point where she stops seeing her mom like that - I still found Mrs. Cooke very sympathetic.

Scarlett is the best friend you'd wish for. She is another part of this novel that I really liked. She seems very ahead for her age anyway, but she still goes through a lot of character development. As does Halley. Again, we're talking about a rather short Sarah Dessen novel, but it features quite a long period of time. You might think those two wouldn't go together that well, but this way of building up the story lets the writer put emphasis on those important moments in life. I at least didn't miss those moments when a character just sits on the couch at night, having a glass of milk, thinking things through.

It's interesting how you see Halley make her experiences and comparing her personality at the beginning and the ending of the book.
Also, if you're like me and the premise made you think "Oh noooo, not a troubled teen novel with a bunch of endless, pointless discussions and unnecessary crying AGAIN", you're absolutely wrong! Someone like you is nothing like that!

All in all I'd say if other Dessen books were too slow for you or you found them boring you should definitely try Someone like you. I find that it's a lot more entertaining and a very quick read that I will probably pick up again not too far from right now.



Cover Comparison:

Okay, so I actually don't own any of these covers (purchased the British version again), but If I had to choose I'd go for the new one (on the left). I mean, it's not like any of these two covers had something to do with the story (at least I can't see it) but the new one looks way more modern and girly and all. And - let's be honest here - I'm a bit tired of almost every Sarah Dessen cover featuring a beach. Oh, well...not every one, but....you know....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Similar To This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...